Wednesday, March 5, 2014

WHY AUDIO IS MUCH MORE POWERFUL THAN VIDEO

Nick Michaels
Copyright 2014 American Voice Corp. All Rights Reserved

I was watching TV and this annoying commercial came on. You know the kind. Selling too hard. Trying to get me to do something instead of feel something. Filled with calls to action.  I didn't want to change the channel so I hit the mute button. Ahh silence...I was back in my own world. Then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Even though the video was just as obnoxious and self serving as the audio, when the audio was off I didn't mind it as much.

Well, if the audio was the part that was hurting me the most, it must be the most powerful part of the message. Then I realized, while it was relatively easy to avert my eyes it was not that easy to avert my ears. It reminded me of something I had read by McLuhan ages ago. Audio comes from all around you. The visual element happens mostly in front of you. The real power to create emotion is in the audio. So to make the most powerful message, start with the audio and then pick the visuals to support the audio.

No comments:

Post a Comment